Sunday, December 30, 2012

Breakfast Sandwiches


Ah, Northeastern Ohio...how you toy with us...chilly, warm, cold, warm, hot, then arctic freezing weather- and all in one month! You just can't make up your mind! Now last winter was very mild, hardly a snowstorm, but this year it seems like we will have a more typical winter. But what does all this have to do with breakfast sandwiches??
My husband and I very rarely get a day off from everything. Whether it be work or volunteering, we usually have somewhere we have to get up and go in the morning. Needless to say we don't often sit down and eat breakfast together. So when we did get a snow day yesterday, we took advantage of it! Nate went to the movie store and I started on breakfast. Several ideas crossed my mind. First I thought about this tasty 'Puffy Oven Pancake' I made a few years ago. It's extremely easy and very good, but Nate isn't a huge sweet eater (weirdo!), so then I was thinking of sausage gravy and biscuits but we had eaten that recently, so I decided on breakfast sandwiches.
As I perused Pinterest for easy biscuit recipes I happened on a recipe from Taste of Home for 'Angel Biscuits' that sounded worth trying, so I did (with a few changes).

Angel Biscuits inspired by Taste of Home
* 1 1/4oz package dry active yeast
* 1/4c warm water
* 1c warm buttermilk
* 2 1/2c all purpose flour
* 1tsp salt
* 1tsp baking powder
* 1/2tsp baking soda
* 1/2c room temperature butter (or shortening)
Combine the yeast and warm water. Leave it alone for 5 minutes and combine dry ingredients. Add buttermilk to yeast mixture and leave it alone again (yes I know that's hard!) Cut in the butter or shortening with a pastry blender (or just use a fork like I did). Combine until coarse: so there are no big hunks of butter. Next add your liquid ingredients and just combine.
Preheat oven to 450°. Roll dough out onto a floured surface and gently knead just a few times. Roll to a medium thickness, like the length of your thumbnail. Use a biscuit cutter, a cup, or just free form your biscuits and then place on a lightly greased cookie sheet or one covered with parchment paper. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
Now the rest of the fun begins... I had a few pre-made breakfast goodies that I used to pull these sammies together, I cooked up several eggs over-medium (the sandwiches could be messy since we were eating at home) and of course CHEESE! Nate got a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit, and I made myself a sausage, egg, and cheese biscuit. The biscuits were so good; very light and flaky. They also go great with a little bit (or a lotta bit) of strawberry freezer jam on them.
What about you? What would you make for a stay at home breakfast or brunch?? Comment below!





2 comments:

  1. Yummy! We like crepes with sauteed apples and cinnamon whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious Jordan! I'd love to see you do a tutorial on your crepes. They're delicious with so many different toppings/fillings!

      Delete